HID lighting is traditionally used for applications that require higher light intensities than fluorescent lighting, such as cereal, forage, citrus and C4 plants.
- Well suited for promoting leafy plant growth
- Produces brighter light than incandescent, fluorescent and LED lamps
- Shorter rated average lamp life than fluorescent and LED lighting
- Generates significant heat and often must be positioned a considerable distance from the plant canopy
- Unsuitable for rapid cycling of lamps due to slow lamp restart times
- Limited ability to dim lamps
- Introduces significant heat into the controlled environment, creating vertical temperature gradients